Or at least that was our motto, crossing state lines and time zones and realizing we were not going to actually make the technical first half of our weekend music adventure.
But here's where you're wrong if you're assuming that's the tragic beginning and end of this story - because this past weekend, half spent ON the road and half spent AT the Gentlemen of the Road Tour Stopover in St. Augustine, Florida, was, as a whole, nothing short of AWESOME.
Due to these very important things called insanely long Graphic Design studios, people like my roommate and fellow designer Sarah and I can't just hop up and leave this town whenever we please. Skipping class is not an option and it takes a lot of courage to attempt a whole weekend spent out in that outside world. That being said, since a pesky little studio class was involved, Sarah and I did not leave town, dog and cooler full of beverages and breakfast food in tow, until 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
We caffeinated, we sped, we tried to avoid all other human beings in vehicles, we conveniently forgot about the time change, we blasted anticipatory tunes all in hopes of being able to make it to St. Augustine in time to catch even one last song from the headliner of the night - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. But sadly all of it was in vain; we did not get to experience any more of that beautiful American indie folk than we heard from our car speakers.
But, in moments like that you just have to laugh at life. There is no way I could have known purchasing a music festival ticket six months in advance that my roommate and ride would have a mandatory afternoon studio class. There is no way the Gentlemen of the Road would have waited for us. And unfortunately no one has gotten around to inventing teleportation yet. The thing about traveling is that having any expectations at all can leave you disappointed in the end - I'd rather let the journey surprise me. It's way more amusing that way.
Amusing is when you pull into the downtown shuttle parking lot at the local airport as every other person is driving out. Amusing is when you make friends with a parking attendant named Robert and grab some solid life advice and VIP treatment as you stand waiting in the middle of a landing strip to jump onto a bus and convince the driver to take you downtown. Amusing is when you've just arrived in a city when all the nightlife is winding down. I'm a firm believer that the conversations are better and the times are more memorable when you don't take it so seriously, and maybe accidentally do things completely against the norm. What a way to roll into Florida.
But, oh, the next day you best believe we were on time. (Thanks to our new parking friend Robert's parental scolding and word of advice: "Don't be late this time, sweethearts") After whipping up some fuel for the day in the form of bacon and eggs at Sarah's grandpa's with some other friends and out-of-towners, we headed downtown and checked out this field where the magic happens.
The Gentlemen of the Road Stopover Tour is something created by Mumford & Sons to celebrate small cities and towns around the world with holding these events with sweet lineups, venues, and plenty of local flair. This is evidently one of the biggest things to happen to St. Augustine in a while, and the vibe of excitement in this old, old city was exciting. Every single local shop/business seemed to be involved, as we discovered on a little walk around the city that afternoon. Everybody pitched in to make it a good time.
And the design team gets extra super millions of points from me. Just, because, duh. Check this out.
I mean, such a fine attention to detail. And the consistency is on point. And the appreciation of tangible paper goods with the whole passport and wristband thing? A+, gentlemen.
The city of St. Augustine itself is pretty cool. Well, pretty hot, too. Actually I think I might dare to say that this Saturday might have been the hottest I've been all summer. Which, for a girl who's been to Puerto Rico, all over the humid Southeast, and spent a month in desert-like Spain, that might be ironic. Doesn't change how beautiful and historic this place is, though. There's Spanish influence everywhere and there's a body of water! Two things to win me over. How fickle my heart and how sweaty my feet, that's all I'm sayin'.
I stumbled upon the most lovely little copper-infused bracelet at this little hippie store, and even got a discount as a concert-goer. My weirdly tiny wrist and circulation flow are both happy.
Speaking of hippies: flower crowns. Props to you, Jordan, for this bright little headwear creation and for allowing us to channel our inner Lana Del Ray for a minute with a photo op. I just want you all to know that for that minute and a half of crown adorning, I was a free spirit.
As far as music goes, first of all, we finally heard some live! We saw Those Darlins, Half Moon Run, Justin Townes Earle, The Vaccines, John Fogerty (yes, from Creedence Clearwater), and of course, Mumford and Sons. Look up every single artist on that list. You wont regret it. Even jam to "Proud Mary" - feel free to get a little retro. 29,000 others and I were definitely feelin' it as the sun set and when John f'in Fogerty showed up in place of Fun to deliver some classic rock to the folky-Americana-British-lineup. And Mumford jumped in as backup to John f'in Fogerty. I am convinced I've witnessed greatness. Unreal.
Big thank you to the Gentlemen of the Road for an unforgettable experience, thank you St. Augustine for being awesome, thank you Jimmy Shine for the hospitality, and thank you spanish moss for just bein' you (neither Spanish nor moss but still just beautiful):
Sunday was a day well spent wandering through magical forests (or a small park) of dangling vegetation in Switzerland, Florida. Merely taking a moment to get out of Auburn and explore a new place will never be regretted. Even if I'm making up for it as my to-do list is growing as long as that piece of angiosperm.





No comments:
Post a Comment