Oh, but this is exactly what it looks like. I just want to share two sweet words, spoken like a melody (or an only slightly dated rap song): YOLO, and ROLO. Naps, and cookies.
This should suffice for a little update on the Rife Life!
How on earth it's Thursday night, or technically Friday morning I suppose, I have no idea. If you've seen me at all this week, which unless you're in class with me, drive the struggle bus, or are creepily stalking me or something I doubt you have, I probably owe you an apology for a general sense of disheveled oblivion. Design classes are in full swing, and by that I do mean resembling the most exhilarating yet exhausting ride at the carnival.
(A few scenes of late: chair-perching, red Solo cups, and sharing Cosmic chocolate with your friends all optional yet highly beneficial to the creative process, in my findings)
Since I intended to share creations as well as adventures with you all: here's what I've been up to in the studio lately! In Design 1 we have each invented a company to brand with a corporate identity system, including a logo, stationery suite, and whatever other collateral we may choose. I'm still slightly obsessed and ridiculously inspired by EspaƱa, duh, so "Tablao Tapas" is a proposal for a contemporary Spanish tapas bar that also serves as a vibrant Flamenco dance theatre. The word “tablao” is colloquial for the Spanish “tablado,” meaning floorboard, or platform, on which flamenco shows are performed. I'm having tons of nerd fun encompassing an energetic environment and culture visually with sketching type and flourishes.
In my Image class we are illustrating book covers for the novel Frankenstein's Cat by Emily Anthes, reaching out to different demographics. The first cover I designed hopes to appeal to the self-dubbed "visually and culturally self-aware," you know, those people maybe picking up the book because they saw it on the New York Times best sellers list and just had to know what biotechnology is doing next in the designer dog department. There's a lot going on in this project and in my brain, as you can probably tell by the assault of geometric icons and vibrant Pantone palette I'm trying to drill into your eyeballs here.
This semester is an interesting one with these two Design studios being back-to-back on Tuesdays/Thursdays. From 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. is like a full time job! And on days like today, with two critiques, malfunctioning printers, and the Amazing Race scrambling to cut that cover out and mount it five minutes before class, it's rough. But you've gotta work hard to play hard, right? YOLO.
(My version of play hard today was a NAP.) And...
DEM COOKIES.
Sometimes you've just gotta wake up, throw a good album on the ol' washing machine laptop-Spotify-music-player, gather up your "un-recipe" ingredients, and bake.
I'm pretty sure I saw these cookies on some blog like six months or so ago and they have been unknowingly burned into the depths of my memory ever since. Only to resurface for the exact moment I just had to make it happen, which was tonight. Please, by all means, be quite amused by not only the idea of me in the kitchen but by this formula for deliciousness:
1. Put some melty butter, one egg, and that whole bag of devil's food cake mix in a bowl. Regret sleeping through remaining daylight hours and missing out on sweet natural lighting with which to photograph important recipe pictures.
2. Test Rolo candy, for safety. It is vital that we know that those little gold nuggets are not poisonous. Also, ooh and ahh over gold nugget foil shadows and lighting in your photographic composition.
3. Shape that dough you've so artfully mixed around the naked Rolo so you have a little ball of chocolate-y goodness. Consider hiring out a Rolo-unwrapper for next time to streamline process.
4. Make an impressive mess. Then, pop those babies in the oven for 7 to 9 to oops-that-timer-went-off-maybe-I-should-check-on-them minutes or whatever your little gooey-preferences desire.
5. Then, freak out about that little tease of caramel oozing out of that one cookie and finally, enjoy. Try not to eat them all. Share. Dream about them. Offer them special places in your heart.
Despite its business with classes, meetings, lab, two projects being due on the same day, and doctors appointments, this week's wrapping up to be a solid one. Let's be real, y'all. I didn't have time to sleep last night. I've spent more hours working in the studio than I have in my own home. I've been drugged up on meds for a diagnosis of bronchitis, a sinus infection, bacterial infection, and possibly mono for a week now. But within all of this something big is being revealed to me: one, that cookies have healing powers, and two, that the greatest challenges of life, even this little Rife Life, are to find our purpose and then pursue our passions.
Some great wisdom I received from John Maxwell during a message on Sunday was that no matter how overwhelming it is at times, passion is the great energizer. "When you find your why, you find your way." Keeping that in mind as the opportunities and challenges arise each day. Also keeping in mind that tomorrow a new adventure to the Sunshine State awaits and I am STOKED for some good times rollin' this weekend.
Until next time!
Lindsay


No comments:
Post a Comment