Tuesday, August 6, 2013

THE EDGE OF AMERICA AND HI, WE'RE AMERICANS


Welcome to the "Edge of America." I just Googled "Why is Folly Beach referred to as the edge of America" because we're all still a bit confused concerning this and this is what I got:
Probably because you always see the sunrise on the beach and finish your day watching a spectacular sunset on the Folly River.
Well, anyway, there's Folly Beach, the pier, the beautiful Atlantic Ocean, and where I spent my day without even a sunburn to show for it!

We are loving Charleston. The sights, the water, the food, the people, the culture, the architecture, the nightlife, all of it. We left Mount Pleasant early enough Sunday to call it morning and road tripped our way down South. About four hours of long talks and louder singing: good stuff. We even got Zaxby's and that just always makes for a good time.

Then we arrived at the cutest little inn on Church Street that we get to call home all week. We may or may not be a little too young and seemingly a little too ditzy to be staying here, as we noted right off the bat when we checked in and got access to a luggage cart. The logistics of this thing and the small step of an entryway just wasn't clicking until some common sense was offered up by the concierge.

The Inn is probably the most charming place I've ever stayed at and we are in the "John Calhoun" room, South Carolina native and two term Vice President. Mr. Calhoun's portrait casually looms over our table.



We are all three crashing in this giant fluffy bed. Talk about snuggle time.

Following check-in we utilized one of our favorite tactics, "planned spontaneity" - wandering out into the streets to explore and find some food eventually. Didn't matter that the humidity feels like a veil of wet blanket to me these days after that dry Spanish air and that we are living in the horse and carriage district with all the smells that come along with it - I don't know if I could ever get tired of walking around this city. There's so much to see, do, and you know, eat.



I love that the three of us share the same love of just wandering around. I love all the green here. I love the design variety. I love the Southern vibe mixed with a cultural melting pot that comes with being a port city. We ate dinner that night at a lovely Italian restaurant, (which we chose because they were playing an Avett Brothers song, by the way) where inside we were sitting next to a table full of Czech people. We keep saying that we feel like we're in different countries every place we go. Or in Becca's words, "It's like Disney World, like you're in Epcot."

Charleston, you've won this girl over and I've only been here three days.

The days have been chill and slow-moving, which is great because this time should not fly by! We woke up late the next morning and casually watched Spongebob Squarepants with our cereal like any group of 21-year-olds should, then called the valet to get our car and head out to check out Isle of Palms. It took a little longer than expected to get out of here, considering a pretty valid excuse around here is, "Sorry, I got stuck behind a horse."

The beach is awesome, very tranquil, and the water's warm. High fives to that.



Also, after my 21 years on this earth, I am finally getting the hang of a cartwheel. Not an easy feat for a human being who's about 70% legs and 100% uncoordinated.

Last night we decided to test the waters of the Charleston night out and I think we were quite successful. We casually picked up some new British friends on the street while walking and hung out with them all night! Cheerio:


While the morning after started out a bit rougher than the last, we made it to the beach again, after some refueling fast food style and the help of the GPS. Today we checked out Folly Beach; practiced our modeling moves and perfected our beach babes status.



 (And that was the beginning and end of my pier modeling days)

Tonight we took it easy, made some hot dogs, went to a candy store, loitered on the steps of the U.S. Customs House, you know. Happy Tuesday night! I for one can't wait to see what the rest of the week holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment