A love letter:
Querida Salamanca,
The experience has been quite the teacher, but oh, how I have learned. I've learned that I can speak and understand your language after all. I've learned that time flies when you're busy experiencing. I've learned how to live, I've learned how to let go, and I've learned how to love.
I love your Plaza and seeing all the people lounging in the middle of the city as the night begins. I love your rich history and I love casually having massive, intricate, Gothic architecture surrounding me as I walk through your streets. I love the period of time after siesta when families go on walks together. I love your parks and I love that there is ice cream on every corner. And with utmost enthusiasm I love your Croissanteria.
Thank you for the last few weeks and for being so hospitable; I'm not even holding a grudge about those few days you tried to melt me with dry heat. These swollen feet and ankles aren't cute but a gift from you I've accepted, regardless. Thanks for the tan and new found appreciation for air dried hair and European fashion.
I'm going to miss my walk to class and having a view of the gothic cathedral right out of my classroom door. I'll miss having professors just a year or two older than me who I can hang out with at the bar. I can't say I'll miss the hangovers or five hours straight of class but I definitely will miss that Agua de Valencia and 50 cent cervezas at the Submarine.
I hope that everyone in the States won't find it too weird when I throw in some of your most favorite phrases like "no pasa nada" and the traditional "arriba, abajo, al centro, al dentro" cheers to our drinks. I probably won't ever stop saying "Jesús" when someone sneezes or referring to beloved Wi-Fi as "wee-fee," because why not.
I must say, you've forced me to have to anticipate a majorly carb-and-sweet free diet in the coming weeks. And why'd you have to go and drain my bank account? I have to admit that it was all worth it though.
Anyway, enjoy my iPhone and Spanish Samsung because I lost both of them last night somewhere in one of your discotecas. Sorry I didn't make it to half of classes today and sorry to that one gift store owner whose floor I spilled coffee on.
Salamanca, you've opened my eyes to a world without air conditioning or many fresh vegetables and you've even gotten me hooked on jamón. A whole new mundo (world) has been shown to me. All I want is just a little more time with you to explore some more but I guess all good things have to end. Let the early morning come with not tearful goodbyes but with happy hearts for all the memories. Gracias por the time of my life.
XOXO
Hasta la vista, until next time,
Lindsay
No comments:
Post a Comment