It was the cold tomato-based vegetable soup that sent me over the edge.
Let's talk about food. Comida. Something on all of our hearts, minds and stomachs. Today was a normal Thursday, dragged my stayed-out-too-late-again self to class, tried to pay attention, bought café out of my newest favorite invention next to the siesta, which is a coffee vending machine in the lobby of one of our class buildings, but little did I know what lay ahead. And that is: gazpacho. Our lunch today. And one of the most traditional Spanish dishes, specifically in this heat. I had learned all about it in class but had yet to try it myself, until I realized it was set in front of me at almuerzo.
Here I am to proudly proclaim that I have eaten all of every single thing served to me so far on this trip, but one bite into this cold soup and my stomach's churning. I'm sorry to offend any Spaniards but me odio (I very strongly dislike) el gazpacho. Anyone who's with me on not liking ketchup or many tomato-based products at all may agree that this is a choke-down-hide-grimace or a fess-up-and-apologize meal. Considering the meal's accompaniment was aforementioned meat product balls, I utilized a combination of both methods today after simply not being able to finish. I am very lucky to report though that upon profuse apologies and declarations that I was full mi madre de casa was not offended and said it was fine.
Typically our saving grace is melón. We eat melón for dessert after every almuerzo, every day. It is simple, cold, and delicious. I am eternally grateful for melón.
After dinner, however, our dessert is always yogur. (yogurt). It's just plain, sweetened yogurt that actually tastes quite good if you can get over the texture it sometimes adopts, similar to runny cottage cheese. It's healthy though and has helped our stomachs adjust to differences with probiotics.
After being here close to two weeks now we have pretty much figured out our madre's cooking routine. We have been in a nice rotation of noodle soup, meatballs, this soggy green beans and potatoes (verdaduras y patatas) dish that is very vinegary and typically produces a few frowns, ensalada (salad) with pickled onions and sometimes small bits of tuna, tuna pasta, frozen pizza with jamón, bocadillos de jamón (ham sandwiches), and can't forget the fried eggs and nameless fish patties. Our madre does not love to cook so, uncommonly for a Spaniard, she just fixes enough for us to eat one decent serving and does not try to force food down our throats. Believe me, it could be much worse! We also eat baguette with every meal and only drink water. While our diet may not be the most exciting or nutrient-rich, we're still alive, and I'm even starting to enjoy things that I never liked before, so that's muy bueno.
The other day though we were surprised to find Spanish "tortilla" served with plain hot dogs for dinner! Which was really amusing because Melanie and I had just been walking home from the park and talking about how we wanted to try more typical Spanish foods like tortilla. It was very good; it's a simple egg and potato thick omelet.
We treat ourselves to helado (ice cream) or a sweet every now and then, don't you worry. The other day we even stopped by a fresh fruit market to pick up some snacks to accompany our homework in el parque (park) adventure. I got a peach and an apple and they were muy delicioso.
Not going to lie though, the other day when we were walking home for lunch someone mentioned Zaxby's and I just about started crying. Ohhh well, this is España!
Needless to say I've been learning a lot about Spanish culture lately. Specifically in my Cultura class, duh. We were informed that a true Spanish siesta is actually only 20 minutes long, which pretty much blew our minds. Guess we got the siesta all wrong--for some odd reason you're not supposed to sleep for hours in the middle of el día. Then today we talked about costumbres (customs) of Spanish people--our profesora told us that it is very strange to her that we say "gracias" whenever she passes out photocopies because she's not doing us a favor; only doing her job! We also apologize too much. We're just too Southern, bless our hearts. Shoot, maybe by the time I come back to Alabama I'll be rocking some stone cold European manners.
Speaking of manners, as a graphic designer with a love of all things type I can't help but take it as a personal offense when handed a photocopy worksheet set entirely in Comic Sans and full of clip art. Seems like it's the norm, though, for ¡fun! Spanish worksheet-style learning. Whew, just had to get that off my chest.
In other news, mis compañeras de cuarto (roommates) and I have all gotten really into this telenovela called "El Clón." We watch it with our house madre at dinner every single night (it is her absolute favorite TV show) so naturally we have gotten quite into the storyline of handsome heros and exotic women. Speaking of TV shows, shout out to you, Tasos, because 1. you love us Auburn kids, 2. sell us drinks, and 3. pretty sure you said you think my blog name is good enough for a TV show!
Anyway, just wanted to write really quickly to fill you all in on a little piece of life here en España. Check out Facebook for tons of pictures from playing in the park today. OH, and tonight I saw rain for the first time here. It was shocking to everyone and everything involved. I leave BRIGHT and early in the morning (6 a.m., people) to explore the southern region of Andalucía! Will update upon return, as long as I don't melt there.
Hasta luego y "grathias" (that's my new authentic Spaniard accent coming out),
Lindsay

No comments:
Post a Comment