Friends,
Rather than initiate this blog with the accustomed word vomit about everything I expect to experience in the next month and the importance of study abroad, I will spare you, because frankly I am attempting to have no expectations, and also I only have time for a quick update from the airport.
I am currently en route to Madrid, where I will arrive just after 7 a.m. tomorrow to meet up (hopefully - unless I somehow get lost, delayed, or they leave without me) with my group from Auburn, with whom I will travel farther on to Salamanca. Salamanca is an old, beautiful city in northwestern Spain. I will be there for the entire month of July, and my peers and I will be taking Spanish classes at the Universidad and living with local host families.
I have a passport in hand, and a new adventure awaits. Truthfully this opportunity could not have come at a better time, and it is such a gift to be able to get out of the country and out of my own head and routine for a while. I thrive off of new experiences and have such an open mind and heart for this one!
I sit here at my gate in the Charlotte International Airport, awaiting my flight to Madrid. Boarding has been delayed due to minor maintenance issues but I am grateful for the time to sit down and write quickly. I adore traveling alone--there's such magic in being a mysterious stranger and people-watching, and I find extreme excitement in knowing I have a destination and a challenge to arrive.
The morning of travel so far has been very smooth--I got everything packed up in one suitcase (shockingly, much thanks from a recent adoption of minimalistic principles) and got dropped off at the airport in Memphis in plenty of time. My checked bag weighed 48 pounds, thank the Lord, and I sent it off to Madrid. Once on the airplane I had the pleasure of meeting my newest fashion idol--a two-year-old named Caroline rocking a middle-part long bob hairstyle and leopard-print flats she picked out herself. I also had the pleasure of discovering that American Girl dolls are still cool and get to travel! The dream of my generation is not dead.
Of course I seized the opportunity to provide you all with a cliche plane wing and clouds shot, and further appreciated technology by overhearing the exclamation of my seatmate upon the flight attendant's request to turn off all cell phones, "Hold on! I can't find my airplane emoji!"
People have been nice today so far, a pleasant finding in a day full of travel. Exceptionally our sassy Memphis flight attendant, who up until he came up to me and requested my trash I honestly believed was an overly enthusiastic woman who fully utilized permission to use the loudspeaker.
With that, I should probably pack away my laptop and actually pay attention to when and where I need to board this flight. I've never been on a flight longer than four hours so this will be a new experience altogether already! Hopefully I can catch some sleep, but we all know I will be a champ at jet lag with my design school skills of staying awake for days at a time.
This will most likely be my primary form of communication with all of you lovely people who care to read about my study abroad experience--granted wifi and down time work out in its favor. Be sure to check out my trendy social media icons located to your left to keep up with me on all networks! Instagram is your best bet.
Hasta pronto, Estados Unidos.
Lindsay
No comments:
Post a Comment